Tuesday 20 January 2015

Are you wearing contacts?

 

Today I'm going to tell you guys about my experience as a black girl with natural hazel eyes. Growing up people usually made fun of my eyes called it "puss eye" N.B. I live in Jamaica. Frankly they didn't like it looked odd to them I guess. Then came adulthood I can't go anywhere without someone male or female asking me if I am wearing contacts *deep sigh of annoyance*.

"Are you wearing contacts?", "Is that your real eyes?" the moment I heard that my mood would instantly change. At first in my late teens I used to reply and tell them no, but now in my mid 20's I've started to realized that the reason they are all so curious is because I am a black female. *Don't jump to any conclusion yet, let me explain how I see it*.

I am of the opinion, that these Jamaicans who question my eye color are of the assumption that Black people cannot have any other eye color apart from dark brown. Why else would so many people here question if I am wearing contacts or not? I have no other explanation.

After realizing that fact I started telling them "yes" with a lot of attitude whenever I'm asked that question. Whether or not I'm wearing contacts how does this affect them? Will it pay their bills? It's like asking someone if that's their hair but that's for another blog post.

Feel free to tell me what you think in the comments below.

Adios amigos.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here.